Sound problems...

Andrew S. Townley linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:13:14 +0000

Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried all your suggestions, but still no go.  I
didn't have the channels muted before and had used amixer, alsamixer and
aplay.  Nothing seems to work.  If I boost the volume on all the
channels but the mic and crank the TP volume switch to 5, I can hear
static, but nothing else.  If I try and play sounds, it acts like it is
playing and I hear static, but no sounds.  It also just sits there until
I kill it with Ctrl-C.

Why I had actually put the alias for sound in was so it would load the
right stuff automatically using the RH sound script.

Anyway, it isn't critical, but it is annoying.  I've burnt enough time
on it for this week, though.  Thanks again.  If you think of anything
else, let me know.  Oh, I was wondering if you knew of a good way to
completely un-install the alsa stuff?  It looks like it is pretty
invasive.  Every time I try and get the "normal" sound stuff to work, I
find another thing that has been touched by the alsa install.  Oh,
well.  One more thing to look into later. :)

ast

Bill Mair wrote:

> Andrew S. Townley wrote:
>
> > Here's the conf.modules file:
> > =============================
> >
> > alias sound snd-card-0
> >
> > # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> > alias char-major-116 snd
> > alias char-major-14 snd
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs4236
> > alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> > alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
> > alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss#
>
> Hopefully the # at the end of the above line is not really there.

You're right.  It isn't.