internal modem on 770X

Mark Kennedy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:14:56 -0400

Peter Soderling wrote:

> Greetings. . .
>
> My apologies if this is something that has been covered on the list before
> (although I did check the archives and didn't see anything) but I'm on the
> verge of pulling my hair out over the workings of the internal modem on my
> ThinkPad770X. I haven't found any good info on the web re: getting the modem
> setup properly. Is this because everyone is having the same struggles with
> it? Is there any hope - any light at the end of the tunnel?
>
> . . . or do I need to use a different modem (maybe PCMCIA)?
>
> Thanks,
> --petesoder

> Peter Soderling
> e-business Consultant
> Lighthouse Computer Services
> (401) 762-3277  x:127

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the internal "modem" in the TP 770X
is really just a DSP chip which has to be driven from software to
behave like a modem.  drivers exist for the win32 world but not for linux.
to dialup from linux, you'll need a pcmcia card with a real modem in it
(or maybe you can buy modems that connect via the USB?).

/mark kennedy