PCMCIA installation

Mike Culbertson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 16:00:50 -0700

Anyone have any tips for installing Linux onto a Thinkpad 755CE via a
Megahertz XJ10BT PCMCIA ethernet card? For whatever reason, I can't get a
Linux distribution to use this card. I've tried Red Hat 6.0, 5.2, 5.1,
Turbolinux 3.6, and SUSE 6 but none of them seem to recognize this card. I
was looking at a PC Card compatibility list, and this card along with about
3 others needs to use a different driver than most everyone else, so I was
thinking that the installers may just be shoving the other one as a default
which would explain why things don't work quite right.

I've monitored the local FTP site that I'm trying to install off of, and the
machine isn't sending connection requests to the network, even though the
cards network light is on. Any advice on how to accomplish this, or a better
way to install to a machine that has no cd, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Mike Culbertson
mike@hihat.com