[ltp] FW: Surcharges on Email

David H Elrod linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 05 Aug 1999 11:07:31 -0700

Mr. Walmsley,

> Have you heard about this?
> >>>>>>>>>>>>

> Subject:    Surcharges on Email
>
> ... Bill 602P will permit the Federal Govt to charge a  5 cent
> surcharge on every email delivered, by billing Internet Service
> Providers at source....

I just did a search at:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/
and
    http://www.senate.gov/

and both claim that there is no "Bill 602P".

I did find "H.R.602" which is about long term health insurance.
I searched each page of this bill for "email" to see if there
were any riders, but found no matches, and saw only insurance
stuff.

I did a search on "email" and found:
1 . E-Mail User Protection Act (Introduced in the House)[H.R.1910.IH]
2 . Online Privacy Protection Act of 1999 (Introduced in the Senate)[S.809.IS]

My congressperson gets a lot of "false warnings". I don't want
to add to her chaos if I can help it.

Could you please verify that this is really a valid warning?

Thanks,
David

David Hunter Elrod                   Rivendell Technologies, Inc
dhelrod@rivendell.com                1111 W. El Camino #109, PMB348
http://www.rivendell.com             Sunnyvale, CA 94087-0126
Voice: 650/254-1790                  Fax: 650/254-1792