[ltp] ThinkPad 240

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:36:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, John T. Croteau wrote:

> Yup, looks like the 240 has a Lucent modem.  I think I will be styaing
> away from it just on that note alone.

There's no reason that modem cannot work under Linux. You just have to run
the same DSP code. Lucent *should* be hard at work on that one, but having
worked with Lucent, I'd say they will not do it until an IBM-sized
customer demands it from them.

That aside, there's still the performance issue. Why is it that people
understand that you need a 3D processor for game performance, and yet
those people will buy a software modem?

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
  - Jimmy James, News Radio