[ltp] Newbie Question about Xfree86

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:54:59 -0500 (CDT)

| Ok, I am trying to install Linux Red Hat on a 770X or Z for the first
| time. How do I use the XServer patch from the web page? I understand
| that the files are posted there to correctly get X working, but just
| exactly how do I do this? Do I copy this file I downloaded into a
| directory then install linux?

Install Linux.  Install XFree86 as part of the Linux installation
process.  I don't remember exactly how the RedHat installation goes, but
if given the choice, install the VGA16 and SVGA servers.  (It might just
install them all; I don't remember.)

After installation is complete, download Bill's XFree86 server and move
it to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA. (You may wish to back up the original
XF86_SVGA first, by renaming it or copying it.)  Install Bill's
XF86Config in /etc/X11.  Make sure /etc/X11/X is a symbolic link to
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.