[ltp] TP 770 PCMCIA Success.

Frank Riha linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
11 Aug 1999 16:39:55 -0400

Ok, I have been having the same problem as some of the list members
regarding my TP770 and PCMCIA locking the darn thing up.

I went through the FAQ and did the 0x60000000 memory thing to no
avail.  Tried several combinations of interrupts and such.  Nothing.
This was quite a pain, as my root partition is large and each lockup
had me spending five minutes fsck'ing the partition.

What I discovered is that the PCMCIA driver was polling io ports 0x100
thru 0x4ff, which I believe is the default.  Included in this range is
my ide1 and ide3 controllers.  As soon as the driver would touch these
ports the box would lock up.

I changed the "include port 0x100-0x4ff" to read "include port
0x300-0x35f" and tried again.  Works like a champ.

My config.opts in in a sorry state after so much trial and error, so I
will post it in case anything else in it is helping the situation.  I
am now actually going to do some work, so I will not be fine tuning it
until I get some free time.  Until then, my ethernet card (Xircom CE3)
and modem (Hayes) are working, and that's what I need.

frank riha

Config.opts>>>>>

#
# Local PCMCIA Configuration File
#
# System resources available for PCMCIA devices
#
#include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x1000-0x17ff
include port 0x300-0x35f

include memory 0xd8000-0xdffff
#include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff
#include memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff

#
# Extra port range for IBM Token Ring
#
#include port 0xa00-0xaff

#
# Resources we should not use, even if they appear to be available
#
exclude irq 5
exclude port 0x2f8-0x2ff
# First built-in serial port
include irq 4
# Second built-in serial port
exclude irq 3
# First built-in parallel port
exclude irq 7
exclude irq 9
exclude irq 10
#
# Options for loadable modules
#
# To fix sluggish network with IBM ethernet adapter...
#module "pcnet_cs" opts "mem_speed=600"
#
# Options for Xircom Netwave driver...
#module "netwave_cs" opts "domain=0x100 scramble_key=0x0"