[ltp] X server

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:31:20 +0200

eric_schabell@nl.ibm.com wrote:

> Howdy Dan!
>
> I have SuSe 6.1 with the 2.2.x version of the kernel, used Bill's files and
> placed them in the following dir's (this is the important part):es in mijn
> file systeem:
>
> -->  XFREE86_SVGA   in root and then unzipped.
> -->  SuperProbe in /usr/bin/X11
> -->  XF86Config in /etc (not in /etc/X11 which RH uses, as SuSe reads the
> config from /etc)
>
> The only manual adjustment was to my monitor settings:
>
> Using the SuSe too Yast (or however you want to start it), start XF86Setup
> and change the MONITOR settings to 1280x1024 and modify vert/horz refrsh to
> read:
> HSync = "30-65"
> VRefresh = "50-70"
>
> Save configuration and start X via command "startx"!
> With these settings you get the bonus that the docking station works also
> (I have a 17"monitor and with 1280x1024 it is beautiful)!
>
> Good Luck,
> Eric
>
> I have tried to get the X server working on my 770X and 770 (pre X).  I am
> still new to this.  I don't think I am getting all the installation
> details.  I stop the X server and it seems to have stopped with the audio.
> Can't I just bring up the X server in a mode without audio or the exact
> right video?  With the 770 (pre X model) the install program detects the
> video chip and is happy.  It is not happy with the monitor type.  I have
> tried replacing the SVGA X server and XF86config.  Do I have to swap out
> all those files on Bill's page for the X server to work?
>
> Dan

I always put XF86Config into /etc/X11 and then "ln -sf /etc/XF86Config
/etc/X11/XF86Config".

Also make sure that /etc/X11/X is pointing to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA,
i.e. "ln -sf /etc/X11/X /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA", otherwise the wrong
XServer might be started.

Also my XF86Config is setup for a 1280x1024 display, the timiings for a
1024x768 are in there but currently "commented out". Depending on your
display size, you may have to modify this accordingly.

Bill.