[ltp] Full screen console - positive side effect

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:12:37 -0500 (CDT)

| I have built the kernel as described here in this list a while ago and
| at boot I specify 'vga=ask' and enter the mode '031a' which is the vesa
| mode for a 64K colors 1280x1024 display. If I now do a 'startx', the
| display is screwed up such that only the top 60% of the display are
| touched at all and also, a ghost image of a top left corner anchored
| xterm shows up again at the right side of the display. Any ideas?

I just switched and had that problem.  After much experimentation, I
discovered the solution: use mode 307 instead of mode 31a.  That's 8-bit
mode instead of 16-bit mode.  The X server will then run fine in either
8 or 16 bit mode.