[ltp] X font server - xfs

Mark Kennedy linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:53:17 -0400

Rob Mayoff wrote:

> | On my system xfs is started from some init script at boot time.
> | However, using something like:
> |
> |        FontPath "tcp/localhost:7100"
> |
> | in /etc/XF86Config doesn't work: X won't start up and reports problems
> | (errno 111) connecting to the font server, although it's there:
>
> 111 = ECONNREFUSED, meaning no program was listening on the port.
>
> Check the XFS error log. It's name should be specified in your xfs
> config file (or maybe it's using syslog).
>
> If you don't see any funny stuff there, try "netstat -nat". You should
> see a line like this:
>
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:7100            0.0.0.0:*        LISTEN
>
> Also, try "fsinfo -server tcp/localhost:7100".  You can run that under
> strace to see exactly what kind of connection it's trying to make.

if you're seeing this under a redhat 6.0 installation, it's on purpose.
they turned off TCP access to the font server for security reasons.

if you search the redhat bug tracker, you'll see a report from me
and a response from them.

you can use the server name 'unix:-1' (yeah, "-1", not "0" like you'd
expect from an X display value) to reach the font server through a unix
domain socket.

/mark