[ltp] Interview with IBM (german)

Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:53:42 -0400

>> Prial: Right now weīre supporting Linux on some NetFinity-Server and
>> we will see (nearly) full support on the NetFinity-Server,
>> IntelliStations, commercial PCīs and ThinkPads - in that order.
>>
>> cīt: Does that include the internal modems in the ThinkPads ?
>>
>> Prial: We will support ThinkPads with Linux. I canīt announce
>> anything more at this time.
>
>Hmmm. I hope that the petition will help on this issue, I'm wondering
>if Keith F. has gotten any further ?
>
>Keith ?

Remember, IBM does not comment on unannounced products, services, support, etc.
So regardless of whether IBM is internally preparing to support something, you
won't know anything about it until IBM is ready to announce (barring any leaks,
of course). That's not always a good thing because users tend to start flaming
all over the place (and rightfully so) when they don't know IBM's plans.
However, speaking about plans too soon can lead to all kinds of legal
nightmares.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761

Bill Mair <bill.mair@mail.bm-soft.com> on 08/23/99 05:06:33 PM

Please respond to linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com

> Prial: Right now weīre supporting Linux on some NetFinity-Server and
> we will see (nearly) full support on the NetFinity-Server,
> IntelliStations, commercial PCīs and ThinkPads - in that order.
>
> cīt: Does that include the internal modems in the ThinkPads ?
>
> Prial: We will support ThinkPads with Linux. I canīt announce
> anything more at this time.

Hmmm. I hope that the petition will help on this issue, I'm wondering
if Keith F. has gotten any further ?

Keith ?

> I did install Linux on my ThinkPad and
> did have a good deal of problems with the video-driver. Yes there
> needs something to be done. Perhaps we will write some drivers and
> place them under GPL. (...) Well, yes we will do something, we are
> going to write drivers.

Didn't someone tell him 'bout my patched XServer. ;-)

> (...)
>
> It seems that they are planning on doing things, but with the modem
> - donīt hold your breath, as it is way down their priority list.

Oh man, I guess I'll just have to stick with my PCMCIA modem,
ultra bummer.

> Thomas
> And sorry for that crude translation, i do hope I didnīt mix up the
> meanings of the stuff.

Looks good to me, and don't be sorry, your english is a whole lot better
than my german.

> try for yourself ;-):

I did, I tried translating an english page into german, the results were
hilarious. :-))) Thanks for the note about the babelfish, if I need a laugh
then I just need to let it translate english into german.

Bill.