[ltp] network/pcmcia problems

Peter Soderling linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:45:34 -0400

Paul,

Thanks very much for your help . . . I followed your advise (and even used
your config.opts file) . . . but I'm still getting the freeze at 'XIRCOM
init'    grrrrrr...

A couple of questions:

(I wrote:)
>  > I have compiled pcmcia-cs-3.0.14 with the modified driver found at
>  > http://ivs.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~danilo/linux.shtml .

did you supplement the pcmcia-cs-3.0.14 package with the driver from the
above site.  .  . or did you just use the 3.0.14 source unmodified? I
noticed that at the above site there is a line saying the the driver is now
integrated w/ 3.0.14.

> I first recompiled the kernel setting CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET to NO as the
> PCMCIA README recommends.

I am using the 'make xconfig' command . . . so I am assuming that that above
option is the equivilent to saying 'no' to the 'configure network drivers'
(or something to that effect) option. If I'm wrong here . . . this may be my
problem . . . ?

> I then compiled the kernel modules and
> pcmcia and install them.

'make modules' & 'make modules_install'

and, for the pcmcia source, 'make dep', 'make all' & 'make install'

> Next I added the EtherJet card entry given
> above to the /etc/pcmcia/config file as you have done.  The only
> configuration file that may be different is the
> /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file which I have attached below (Note that
> this file may not need to be change at all).

yes . . .then I went and used your config.opts file . . . and specified the
card in the config file

> Once these changes were
> made, I have had no problems seeing and using the card.  Works like a
> charm, though it would be nice if it said "IBM EtherJet init" instead
> of "XIRCOM init".

. . . and I get 'XIRCOM ini' . . . . freeze    ;-)

> Have you rerun modprobe to set all the module dependancies correctly?

I'm not an expert on modprobe . . . but the modules seem to be functioning
properly. (I think I've figured out the modules problem that I mentioned in
the first message . . . if that's what you're referring to.)

> Your /etc/conf.modules file should have these two lines:
>
> pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
> keep

yes, it does.

Finally . . . what about this option from your config.opts file . . .I
noticed it was commented out:

> # for IBM EtherJet Cardbus...
> #module "tulip_cb" opts "strict_csr6=1"

I uncommented it and restarted pcmcia . . . when I put in the card, it
didn't say 'XIRCOM init' . . .and it also didn't freeze. . . but I got the
low beep. /var/log/messages said that the strict_csr6=1 is not a valid
option . . .

Thanks again . . .

--petesoder