[ltp] network/pcmcia problems

Peter Soderling linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:19:25 -0400

> The following is from my /var/log/messages file showing the kernel
> messages during EtherJet initialization.  I would think yours should
> be very similar.
>
> Aug 31 08:28:20 localhost cardmgr[396]: initializing socket 0
> Aug 31 08:28:20 localhost cardmgr[396]: socket 0: IBM EtherJet 10/100
> Aug 31 08:28:20 localhost cardmgr[396]: executing: 'insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.5-22/pcmcia/cb_enabler.o'
> Aug 31 08:28:20 localhost cardmgr[396]: executing: 'insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.5-22/pcmcia/tulip_cb.o'

Yes . . . my messages file is the same up to this point. But as soon as it
starts to load the driver, it hangs . . . so I never see anthing more in the
log. I would've thought it was a corrupt driver or something, except that
I've gone through the whole compliling process w/ fresh source dozens (or so
it seems) of times now.

> Are you able to tell if cardmgr is executing the start network script
> as shown above?  If so, then my guess is that you have a hardware
> conflict, possibly with the sound card.  I have not been able to get
> my sound card working in native mode.  It only works with the
> SoundBlaster modules.  I seem to remember reading that someone else
> noticed a conflict between his sound chip and the PCMCIA cards.

It obviously never gets to the network point, but perhaps you're still right
about the sound card conflict. I don't remember off the top of my head if
the sound modules are loaded, but I think they are. Perhaps I should try
removing them before I insert the card.

Thanks for helping me along. I'm going to try to remove the sound mods and
see if that helps.

--petesoder