[ltp] sound reinit after suspend

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 04 Dec 1999 01:31:17 -0500

For the information of those of you who have to unload
and reload sound drivers after a suspend ...

I just tried hacking the ALSA module code for
the cs4236 device so that I could reinitialize
it without unloading it, and therefore without
killing processes using it.  The reinitialization
works as well as unload/reload and I find that after
a reinitialization, kmix and kmedia work properly.
Unfortunately, xmms, alsaplayer and kmidi all segfault.
Therefore, these programs still have to be killed
and restarted when the sound device is reinitialized.

It would be nice if this reinitialization could be
perfected so that it didn't cause such segfaults.

Thomas