[ltp] serial devices not working

Heikki Vatiainen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:36:24 +0200

Bob Koss <rskoss@oma.com> wrote:
> I have exactly the same problem on my 770Z running Redhat 6.0.
>

> Paul Huckaby <paul@sitesmith.com> writes:
>
> > I have installed Redhat 6.1 on my 600E and can't seem to get the serial
> > port to work. It is enabled when I use Windblows, palm pilot is able to

I also had problems getting the serial port working with a 770Z
until I tried moving the serial port to /dev/ttyS2, or COM3 in
DOS speak. This did the trick and now the serial port works. I'm
using the serial port for things like logging on to headless linux
boxes, routers and other devices that can be configured through
serial port.

Moving the serial port to ttyS2 can be done with Thomas Hood's
tpctl or IBM's PS2.EXE.

This is what setserial says about the 9 pin 770Z serial port:

% setserial /dev/ttyS2
/dev/ttyS2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4

--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland