[ltp] To ThinkPad 600E users who have recently upgraded their BIOS

Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:55:11 -0500

I see from recent posts that some users who have upgraded their 600E to the
latest BIOS are now having trouble when booting Linux. I will explore this
to see what has happened. To resolve this as quickly as possible, it would
be useful to have configuration information for both those who are having
this problem as well as for those who have upgraded to the latest BIOS but
are *NOT* having the problem.

So, if you are comfortable giving out configuration information, please
e-mail me directly with the following information (or whatever subset you
can provide). I don't see any reason to clutter this mailing list with
configuration reports, though I won't attempt to stop you! :-)

- Model/type of ThinkPad 600E. Example: "2645-4AU"
- Revision of BIOS newly installed, or the name of the file downloaded from
the ThinkPad site. Example: "INET26WW" or "spsdin26.exe"
- Revision of BIOS previously installed, if known. Example: "INET24WW"
- Details of any hardware "upgrades" that might seem relevant. For example:
    * Upgrade to a larger hard disk
    * Upgrade to more memory
- Problem symptoms following the BIOS upgrade, if any. If everything
continued to work as before, please note that as well.
- What procedures/kludges, if any, have you tried to work around the
problem? Did it work?
- Any other details that seem relevant.

I'll summarize and post the results.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761