[ltp] cloning 14G drives

Jacqueline R. Cooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:19:40 -0000

Rob,

Thanks for your rapid response. You have clearly pointed me in the direction
I must go. Recompile here we come.

I have edited your patch into a copy of ide-disk.c in my users home
directory. I presume (after taking a suitable copy to a safe place) I must
copy my modified ide-disk.c back into the /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/
directory and then recompile the whole shooting match (all described in the
SuSE manual). I am also aware that I should create an alternative kernel
just in case and point my lilo config for native boot at that alternative
kernel. Does that all sound correct?

By the way just to clarify. Linux sees the partitions correctly and my hda8
and hda9 are vfat user mountable and they work fine. However obviously
VMWare Linux uses the same technique as fdisk to understand the hard drive
and partitions and fails because of this geometry problem thereby failing to
access the partitions entirely.

Also another couple of questions:

I just tried a couple of serial modem pcmcia cards (Motorola mobile adapter
and an old USR 28K sportster) and the whole shooting match locked up until I
removed the cards. Seems like and irq/io_port conflict. Anybody any
experience of similar problems? Where would I fiddle with such things to
avoid conflicts?

Also tried my old Kingston 10/100 Ethernet combo pcmcia card (does not work
under NT4!!) and my Adaptec 1460A. Both worked out of the box in Linux.

Anybody else manage to get the SelectaDock III SCSI card to work. According
to the documentation it is a 2940 (AU? I am not sure) but scsi did not
detect it at all under Linux (works fine under NT4). Since it has no bios
and no scsi boot capability I would assume it should be treated more like a
2920 or 1542 type device. Anybody any comments or experience?

And no way am I planning to mess about with partiton tables in the way you
describe. Phew!!!!

The contents of those three /proc files by the way:

# Device configuration under VMWare boot
# /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   3     0      13804560 hda
   3     1        2094088 hda1    NT C:\ (Primary)
   3     2        2094120 hda2    Linux root / (Primary)
   3     3        2094120 hda3    Reserved for Solaris (Primary)
   3     4                    1 hda4    Extended Partition
   3     5          128488 hda5    Linux Swap
   3     6        1965568 hda6    Reserved for Windows 2000
   3     7        2094088 hda7    NT E:\
   3     8        2094088 hda8    NT F:\
   3     9        1239808 hda9    NT G:\
   3    64 1073741823 hdb      CD-ROM
# /proc/ide/ide0/hda/capacity
27609120
# /proc/ide/ide0/hda/geometry
physical     29216/15/63
logical      1826/240/63

# Device configuration under native boot
# /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   3     0        7740967 hda
   3     1        2094088 hda1