[ltp] cloning 14G drives

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:43:58 -0600 (CST)

| I have edited your patch into a copy of ide-disk.c in my users home
| directory. I presume (after taking a suitable copy to a safe place) I must
| copy my modified ide-disk.c back into the /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/
| directory and then recompile the whole shooting match (all described in the
| SuSE manual). I am also aware that I should create an alternative kernel
| just in case and point my lilo config for native boot at that alternative
| kernel. Does that all sound correct?

Yes. To rephrase, though: you should make a backup copy of your current,
working kernel, and add a stanza in lilo.conf for it. For example, my
current kernel is /boot/vmlinuz, so before I install a new kernel,
I copy /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz.old. I have one stanza in my
lilo.conf for /boot/vmlinuz and another for /boot/vmlinuz.old.