[ltp] TP 770ED, RH 6.1, DPMS

Jamie Zawinski linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:33:10 -0800

Since I upgraded my 770ED to Red Hat 6.1 (with XFree86-SVGA-3.3) I've
been seeing something weird with DPMS -- basically, the screen never
powers down on its own, but X thinks it does.

When watching "xset q" from another machine, it seems that X believes
that the monitor goes into power-saving mode after a while: "xset q"
reports:

	DPMS (Energy Star):
	  Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1800    Off: 2400
	  DPMS is Enabled
	  Monitor is Off

but in fact the screen isn't powered down; my desktop is still visible.

If I use Fn-F3, I can turn the screen off explicitly.  But it never
happens on its own.  And X is unaware of what I've done -- Fn-F3
doesn't change what xset says.

Does this work for any of you?  Is this a kernel thing, or an X server
thing?

--
Jamie Zawinski             jwz@jwz.org             http://www.jwz.org/