[ltp] Trouble starting X-server (TP 760ED)

Michael Cameron linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 20:15:08 +0000

"Allen H. Cogbill" wrote:

> I just 'upgraded' a TP760ED to Mandrake 6.5 (= RH 6.1). Installation
> was smooth. After install, I made a boot floppy. Now, when booting
> from the HD, the system boots OK but X gives the error message (over
> and over) 'cannot find mouse'. The mouse is installed as a generic
> PS/2 mouse. I have tried this with and w/o an actual mouse plugged
> into the mouse port.
>
> HOWEVER, if I boot from the boot floppy, X starts just fine and every-
> think works OK. I can't find any difference between the lilo.conf
> on the floppy or the HD.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allen Cogbill

Can't help much but can sympathise.  I was recently forced
to buy a new distribution after a system problem (caused by
WinDoze I might add).  I couldn't get the rescue disk to
work, the RH distro I had on CD refused to install.  Got
Mandrake 6.5 and have spent the last week finding loads of
bits and pieces which aren't quite right.  I think an
install rather than upgrade might be smoother so am about to
bite the bullet and do a full installtion, reformatting a
couple of partitions in the process.

A selection of problems:
kppp reports that there is no ppp support in the
kernel/modules (there is).
modprobe refused to work (conf:16 error?)
could not compile a kernel from the supplied source (seemed
to be older then the binaries?)
suspend/resume does not work - this could be caused by the
Windoze problem too.  Suspend works, resume causes screen to
come back up, system beeps then hangs solid.
many system libraries seem to be missing/in the wrong place
(eg libtix4.1.8.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory)

I'm pretty sure this is could be fixed by wiping the disk
then installing Mandrake (which it has to be said was very
easy), probably using Bill's X stuff (thanks again) but am
open to any suggestions which would avoid this fairly
drastic move.

Michael

--
Broompark, Clockston Road        Tel: +44 (0)1563 822370
Galston, Ayrshire                Fax: +44 (0)1563 822611