how to get Serial IO on the 770X

Mark Shacklette linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 01:49:01 +0000 ( )

Hi all.

I am trying to get the serial port to work, and have turned off the infrared
port in Windoze and turned on serial, and have verified that it does indeed
work in Windoze.

>From /var/log/messages, it appears that the port is not even being detected.
It says the Serial driver version 4.27 is loaded with no serial options
enabled, but that's all.  No mention of any devices or interrupts.

I'm running RH6.0 with kernel 2.2.9 and CONFIG_SERIAL=y is set in .config.

If someone has the serial port working with a 770X running kernel 2.2.x, please
let me know the steps you took to accomplish it.  I'm running Win98 on the
other partition, so the suggestions on
http://umech.mit.edu/aja/linux/tp770.html about how to set up the serial port
by using NT's configurator to disable the shared option is not (TMK) available
in the Win98 770X configurator.

Anyone with success and a similar config please report.

Thanks,

Mark