TP 380Z serial

Stein Vrale linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:05:14 +0200

Hi,

first a big thanks for this list and all the laptop pages out there. I
installed my first laptop last week, RedHat 6.0 on a new TP 380Z, and
was expecting a lot of hazzle, but ended up with a functional system
after only an hour. I'm very impressed of the smooth installation, even
the screen came up in maximum resolution without major trouble.

Some minor problems remains, and one major: the serial port, which I
need for my modem.

According to most of the pages out there the serial port should be no
problem (since no one mention it), so I wonder if I'm just missing
something obvious here, and would like som advice on what to do.

The TP was default setup with IR on COM1 and serial port on COM2. First
I disabled the IR port (using ThinkPad configuration from w98),
resulting in serial port on COM1. Then I enabled the IR port again, now
it was set to COM2 in win for some unknown reason.

Anyway, when the kernel boots it loads the serial driver but don't
report any ports. Testing with minicom on /dev/ttyS0/S1/S2 give no
activity, minicom goes online for a moment and then offline. No blinking
in the modem led's. Also I tried to force the port setting with
setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550, the io and irq was correct (same as in
w98). No more luck, it seems the UART is not detected (unknown). The
modem work fine in w98.

So, how do I make Linux to detect this UART/port/whatever, and how do I
check that it has detected it?

I will try to compile a newer kernel later, to fix the minor APM
problems and try the IR stuff, but for now I just want my modem to work,
so I may continue some work (from my holyday location :-)

Any ideas?

BTW Do you think the just announced thinkpad configurator for linux may
work with TP380? I'm willing to take the risk trying it, if its supposed
to work.

thanks,

Stein Vrale

http://www.terminator.net/