tpctl -- ThinkPad configuration tool for Linux

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:03:36 +0100 (BST)

Personally I am against it because I am against monolific configuration programs.
I aways prefered having access to config files, and being able to
run things on the command line with options that could be put into shell
scripts. rather than the gui/menued approach.

For example, when I start my computer in unix it probes to see if I am at
home or at work, and reconfigures itself to different
domain/mail/automount/ip/dns etc. However with windows I have to change the
settings by hand (and of course the reboot ;-)

For an X based one, having the linux conf doing it fair enough, just don't lost
the current system.

I built my own distribution for linux on my machines, and don;t use linuxconf at
all. I was not particularly impressed with it when I saw it on my friends
redhat. Its very HP-UX Sam, nice easy but if it does not do what you want how
you want, your in trouble, becuase if you do a change by hand, you can not
really use that part of the gui again (Sam I am talking here).

James