770Z using the full 14G drive

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:55:01 -0500 (CDT)

| DB> I have installed RedHat linux 6.0 but was unable to use the full 14G
| DB> of the drive.  It would only allow me to use about 8G and the rest
| DB> was unavailable.  I talked with redhat tech support and they
| DB> suggested that I should try at the boot prompt linux
| DB> hda=cyls,hds,sectors and said that this should work.  I had come
| DB> up with the cyls=1826, heads=240, and the sectors=63, and used
| DB> the command "linux hda=1826,240,63" at the linux boot prompt.  I
| DB> partitioned the drive and it seemed to partition the drive ok, showing
| DB> that I had 14G of space.  but after writting out the partitions the
| DB> install could not find any partitions to install linux on.

That's because of a defect in Disk Druid, I believe.  Try deleting any
partitions that are entirely above the 1024-cylinder mark.  I had to
hide one such partition on my drive in order to make it work.

| My understanding is that you need to upgrade to a later kernel to
| recognize the stuff above 8 gigs. My sister and I may be doing this
| over the weekend on her 770Z.

Actually, no official kernel release through 2.2.10 supports the 14.1
GB drive. The Mandrake Linux 6.0 distribution has a patched kernel that
DOES recognize the drive.