770Z using the full 14G drive

Andreas Loebel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 12:56:27 +0200

David Blackman wrote:

> I have installed RedHat linux 6.0 but was unable to use the full 14G
> of the drive.  It would only allow me to use about 8G and the rest
> was unavailable.  I talked with redhat tech support and they
> suggested that I should try at the boot prompt linux
> hda=cyls,hds,sectors and said that this should work.  I had come
> up with the cyls=1826, heads=240, and the sectors=63, and used
> the command "linux hda=1826,240,63" at the linux boot prompt.  I
> partitioned the drive and it seemed to partition the drive ok, showing
> that I had 14G of space.  but after writting out the partitions the
> install could not find any partitions to install linux on.  I rebooted
> the machine and then was not able to remove the partitions with
> dos or with a linux boot diskette.  I found a utility delpart.exe that
> would delete the partitions.
>
> I talked to IBM storage about the problem and they said that using
> disk manager had worked for a different model drive and pointed me
> to the web page that told how to do it.  This did not work for my
> laptop either.
>
> Is there a solution to this problem?

Have you used an extented partition? My first trial using such an
extented partition has also failed, but the second one just using primary
partitions works fine (although the last partition starts beyond the 8G
limit).

Andreas

--
Dr. Andreas Loebel

Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum fuer Informationstechnik Berlin (ZIB)
Optimization
Takustrasse 7, D-14195 Berlin, Germany
Phone:              +49 30 / 84185-239
Secretary:                        -208