770Z using the full 14G drive

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 12:45:51 -0500 (CDT)

| It all works fine, but after I was done Linux fdisk won't read the partition
| table anymore :(
| but that's OK cause I'm not going to change it anytime soon :)

I had exactly that problem - all the partitions were accessible through
Linux but fdisk couldn't read the partition table. The cause was that
Linux didn't have the right disk geometry. The disk driver would not
allow you to seek past the 1024-cylinder mark on /dev/hda, so fdisk
couldn't read the whole partition table.

On a Linux 2.0 kernel, you can check the drive geometry
using "dmesg|grep hda". (If it's been a long time since you
booted, this may not work). On a 2.2 kernel, you can just cat
/proc/ide/ide0/hda/geometry. If it doesn't say 1826/240/63 then that's
almost certainly your problem.