Other *nixes

Peter Tootill linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:20:35 +0100

Thanks for the info, James.

I guess I'll have to stick to Linux - it's just that I need to train people on Solaris and wanted to play with it ousted the office, I can try my desktop but that's only a P166.

I will go for Linux on my new TP, when I get it (have to persuade my company to get it, first)

Again, thanks for the helpful reply

Rgrds

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: James Hawtin [mailto:jhawtin@watchmark.com]
Sent: 19 July 1999 09:32
To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Subject: Re: Other *nixes

I have tried solaris 2.6 and 7 on my think pad 770X, I have no joy with 7
installling at all, 2.6 pm kicked in twice during install causing lock ups
eventually got it installed. Have to stick Xfree86 on it as the X server does
not like the graphics card.

PCMCIA did not work serial did not work, so pretty difficult to network in any
way at all.

Had better luck with a compaq 266 PII, pcmcia did not work serial worked and I
had a docking station which the net card worked in! So I had to slip things at
home

Unless there is a really good reason for wanting solaris 2, I suggest you forget
it SUN, if you read there web site are not interested in support the "low end"
market, so drivers I don't expect will be improving much. At home I have two
solaris 2.6 intel machines, I choice linux for my laptop as solaris 2 had so
many failings (my first linux box) I will be converting the others in time.
Because it is the future in my view for the intel platform.

Solaris has nice multitreaded kernel though, which is nice for my dual PII
main machine, linux is not nearly as good on that score ..... YET!

James