Other *nixes

Robert Atkins linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:04:53 +1000 (EST)

[you seem to be running out of linebreaks. Here's a couple:

:-)]

> I have successfully run Linux on my 750Cs and I was wondering what
> other Unix versions will run on Thinkpads - Aix, presumably. What about

No, AIX does not run on x86. There was a line of PowerPC-based laptops
that ran AIX, but they were prohibitively expensive, had tiny 640x480
screens and I think they have y2k problems in the firmware. Very hard to
find these days and AFAIK they're not supported by AIX 4.3.

> Solaris, there is a free to use personal version But I hear the Intel
> version needs a PII to run usefully.

I've seen Slowlaris run on a thinkpad, so it can be done.

Cheers,
--
/**
 * @author Robert Atkins, ratkins@osix.com.au