tpctl release candidate 0.5.3 -- please try

J.d.thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:39:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

tpctl has been coming along and now has the capability to change
the i/o-addresses and irqs of the serial and parallel ports
(only the "live" settings, though--not those stored in CMOS RAM).

Version 0.5.3 is a candidate for release as a "stable version" (0.6.0)
but I'd like to have it better tested before announding it on Freshmeat.
It would be very helpful to me if many of you would download this release,
install it and test out its features.  Please send me reports of how
the whole process goes.

Unlike the functions that were implemented in 0.3.x, the resource-control
features that have been added in 0.5.x talk directly to hardware registers:
they do not make use of the SMAPI BIOS built into most ThinkPads.
Consequently there is a greater risk that these features will not work
on every ThinkPad--although they have proved to work on a ThinkPad 600,
a ThinkPad 770X and a ThinkPad 380Z.  Feedback about these features
would be especially useful to me.

Download the rpm and/or the tarball via:
   http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~thood/tpctlhome.htm

Thanks,
--
Thomas Hood                                                thood@jhu.edu