tpctl release candidate 0.5.3

J.d.thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:38:25 -0400 (EDT)

>I donīt have a /usr/local/sbin directory, so I moved tpctlify from
>/usr/local/sbin to /tmp and delete tpctlify after it runs on install
>(no need to keep it)

I don't think I'll change this.

>My install(1) doesnīt have a "-D" switch, so I removed it (what does
>it do ?)

>From the man page:
"    -D     create  all  leading  components of DEST except the
              last, then copy SOURCE to DEST;  useful in the  1st
              format"

>changed the permissions of /dev/thinkpad to group-writable with the
>group "wheel"

Question: can I count on everyone having (by default at least)
the "wheel" group defined on their system?  What is the meaning
of "wheel" and what is the essential function of the "wheel"
group?

>the "path"-statement in my /etc/conf.modules resultet in a lot of
>"Unresolved symbols" in other directories, so I made the
>"path"-statement more specific for the think-pad module

When I make the change that you suggest, i.e. changing to
   path[thinkpad]=/lib/modules/thinkpad
then modprobe tells me "can't locate module thinkpad".  I don't know why.

>And last of all, the binary-rpm segfaults on my machine (no idea why),
>so I compiled a rpm (with my changes) for those fellow SuSE-users (do
>they exist ?).

ftp://lcars.wh.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/tpctl-0.5.3-1.SuSE.i386.rpm

I added a link to this from tpctldown.htm ... okay?

--
Thomas Hood                                                thood@jhu.edu