SuSE users

William Ball linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:32:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, John D'Ausilio wrote:

> Thomas
> so I compiled a rpm (with my changes) for those fellow SuSE-users (do
> they exist ?).
>
> I just started using SuSE 6.1 on my 770Z a couple of months ago, after
> spending the last 5 years with Slackware :) and it's treated me well so far
> .. I just wish the directory structure was a little more in line with the
> mainstream

SuSE 6.1 works quite well... sound configuration on my i1451 using the
ALSA drivers was a bit different from ALSA configuration under COL2.2 or
RH6.0 (which use somewhat similar initialization scripts and directory
structures)...

although different from other distros, i kinda like the idea of SuSE's
rc.config file, in which nearly all your system's configuration specs are
collected in a single file... however, this makes SuSE different from
other distros, requiring yet-another-set-of-file-system specs for Linux...
i'm not sure if this a bad thing per se, as most distros are 'close
enough'...

wouldn't it be nice if all distros used the same /etc layout and
file-naming for rc.d scripts?

just my $.02(US)