MWave support for ThinkPads under Linux

William Ball linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:45:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Bill Mair wrote:

> I received this message from Keith Frecette who is in IBMs MWave team:
>
> > Bill,
> >
> > I've been attempting to collect some statistical data to demonstrate
> > ThinkPad that it is in our best interest to develop Mwave drivers for
> Linux.
> > Thomas Hood has been helping by collecting names of Linux users that
> have
> > expressed an interest in Linux support.
> >
> > Although IBM has not yet announced anything, the future does not look
> bleak.

1) is the Mwave adapter used in the earlier thinkpads similar to the Mwave
adapter included with the Aptiva series desktops (providing joystick,
MIDI, telephony [modem] and sound)?

2) i assume you can use the sound capabilities of the mwave-equipped
thinkpads by booting to Linux w/LOADLIN after booting to DOS? (this is
what i did on the desktop Aptiva; the mwave emulated a SoundBlaster - the
telephony functions were useless)