tpctl release candidate 0.5.3

Thomas Wimmer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:43:54 +0200

"J.d.thomas Hood" schrieb:

> >I donīt have a /usr/local/sbin directory, so I moved tpctlify from
> >/usr/local/sbin to /tmp and delete tpctlify after it runs on
> >install
> >(no need to keep it)
>
> I don't think I'll change this.

Then I suggest to include a line that creates this directory if it
doesn't exist.

> >My install(1) doesnīt have a "-D" switch, so I removed it (what
> >does it do ?)
>
> >From the man page:
> "    -D     create  all  leading  components of DEST except the
>               last, then copy SOURCE to DEST;  useful in the  1st
>               format"
>
> >changed the permissions of /dev/thinkpad to group-writable with
> >the group "wheel"
>
> Question: can I count on everyone having (by default at least)
> the "wheel" group defined on their system?  What is the meaning
> of "wheel" and what is the essential function of the "wheel"
> group?

Then at least make it also group-writable (since in the standart
install-version the /dev/thinkpad belongs to user+group root.

> >the "path"-statement in my /etc/conf.modules resultet in a lot of
> >"Unresolved symbols" in other directories, so I made the
> >"path"-statement more specific for the think-pad module
>
> When I make the change that you suggest, i.e. changing to
>    path[thinkpad]=/lib/modules/thinkpad
> then modprobe tells me "can't locate module thinkpad".  I don't
> know why.

Hmm, no idea why.
It works with me flawlessly in my setup

> >And last of all, the binary-rpm segfaults on my machine (no idea
> >why), so I compiled a rpm (with my changes) for those fellow
> >SuSE-users (do they exist ?).
>
> ftp://lcars.wh.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/tpctl-0.5.3-1.SuSE.i386.rpm
>
> I added a link to this from tpctldown.htm ... okay?

thanks, i'm flattered ;-)

> Thomas Hood

Thomas
--
Thomas Wimmer        |   When you're in a fight with an idiot,
thomas@wimmer.net    |   its difficult for other people