Mwave/DSP modem on VMware?

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:22:31 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

I have posted the following message to a vmware newsgroup. Perhaps we
can get the modem working under a guest operating system on VMware:

As many of you know, the IBM ThinkPads use DSP based built-in modems.
Since the interfaces to download the DSP code are apparently
proprietary, those modems can't be used with Linux. I tried to install
the ThinkPad modem software under NT running as a guest under VMware.
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work either because the driver
doesn't recognize the DSP hardware.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to configure the VMware
host software such that it allows direct access to certain IO port and
memory range such that the guest operating system may detect the custom
hardware associated with those resources. If this would be possible, I
think there would be at least a slight chance to get the IBM ThinkPad's
built in DSP modems working. Any ideas from the VMware
development/support guys?

--
Friedemann Baitinger       fb@baiti.net      http://baiti.net/fb

Windws is ine for bckgroun cominicaions