IBM thinkpad 760EL doesn't boot

Robert A. Munro linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:03:34 -0700

"Amalio F. Nieto Serrano" wrote:

>  I have trying to install Linux (Debian 2.1) in an IBM Thinkpad
> 760EL. After trying to partition the hard disk (6.1 Gb) with Linux fdisk the
> computer doesn't boot.

Amalio,

Do you have Users Reference manual, Recovery CD, and Recovery Diskette that came
with your Thinkpad 760EL?

You can use Easy Setup (power on the Thinkpad while holding F1 until the menu
appears) to set it to boot from either the Recovery Diskette or the Recovery
CD.  Then you can recover the originally installed OS (Win95/98) as like-new.

PartitionMagic (by PowerQuest) is an IBM recommended utility for resizing and
defining partitions on your hard disk.

Others may have more specific advice for telling Debian (and its fdisk utility)
how to properly recognize your drive.

Good luck,
Bob