vmware ??

Bob Koss linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:05:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Peter -- thanks for responding.

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Peter Soderling wrote:

> > Is anyone running vmware on a thinkpad?
>
> > 1. The cd-rom isn't visible inside the win98 window. I tried mounting it
> > before 'booting' win98 but that doesn't work either. It's set up in
> > vmware-config ot work, yet it doesn't appear in My Computer.
>
> I would suspect that the reason for this is that you have a non-stock IDE
> driver controlling both your hd and your cdrom. (perhaps piixide.sys is
> installed). I had problems with this (the driver and the hd - not the cdrom,
> like you're having) when I tried to boot NT through VMware. I would get the
> error message "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" on the blue screen. After I
> replaced the piixide driver with the standard ATAPI 1.2 driver from the
> WinNT cd everything worked fine. This could be your cdrom problem as well .

I'm not getting an error message. The cdrom just doesn't appear in My
Computer. Clicking on 'Settings' in the VM or using the vmtools shows the
cdrom as checked -- yet it doesn't appear in My Computer.

If this is the only problem that I'm going to have with vmware, I'm still
impressed! I can boot winblows to install Office 97 and other tools that
I need and then come back and live in Linux.

> You should definitely install the VMware Tools. Be aware that the tools are
> installed on your GUEST os, not on linux. The biggest advantage to
> installing the tools is that they provide you with the driver for the
> display. AFAK, it is the only way to get a decent display on your guest os.

Done -- and you're right, it's just awesome!!!

Robert Koss, Ph.D.  | Object Mentor, Inc.    | Tel: (800) 338-6716
Senior Consultant   | 14619 N Somerset Cr    | Fax: (847) 918-1023
koss@oma.com        | Green Oaks IL 60048    | www.oma.com