Ranish (was: IBM thinkpad 760EL doesn't boot)

Cydny Fire Eisner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:47:57 -0700

> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Cydny Fire Eisner wrote:
> > I highly recommend Ranish Partition Manager, which is a DOS freeware
> > & includes source code.  You can get it at the following URL.
> > http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/
>
> I like this software as well, but it appears to be slightly buggy. I've
> got an 8.4GB drive, and Ranish makes an invalid partition table on it,
> showing 256 heads. If I then make any DOS partition on that drive, DOS
> fails to boot, even from floppy. This should not be a problem with smaller
> or larger drives, though.

hmm ..  I used it on a 13GB drive without any problems.  I just made
sure that the size of the  first partition was within the dos disk limitation.

> The great thing about Ranish's is that it boots from the floppy, so all
> hard drive partitions can be changed. If there were one for linux, it too
> would have to boot from floppy to change the partitions, so there's not
> much to be gained doing it that way.

Not sure about your point here.  I was referring to the fact that you could
save a clean copy of your partition table to a floppy, which enables you
to recover from various mishaps.

Regards,
Cydny

--
Cydny Fire Eisner
cydny@cfire.com

Knowledge Management | Database | Web | Film