mystery X lossage

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:37:53 +0200

Jamie Zawinski wrote:

> It seems it's not as simple as I first thought -- the X server listens
> to the keyboard for a little while, *then* wedges.  (But only the first
> time it's started after a boot.)  If I log in right away, after X comes
> up, I'm able to -- it only loses the keyboard a minute or two later.
> The X server is otherwise functional -- repainting windows, etc.

Looks like you are using runlevel 5 ("If I log in right away, after X
comes up"), try booting with runlevel 3 and then starting X. If this
works then we may have more to go on.

> I have no idea how to diagnose this.  What a complete pain in the ass.

I also read in your original posting that you are using 3.3.2, would it be
much of a problem for you to upgrade to 3.3.3.x ? It may solve your
problems.

If the keyboard still won´t work then consider trying IBM´s ViaVoice
and just "tell" your computer what to do. ;-)

Bill.