vmware ??

Tom Rockwell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:52:01 -0400

Bruce Cowan wrote:

> Mark Kennedy wrote:
> >i'm running RH6.0 and vwmare v1.0.1 on a 770Z w/320M.  i'm running NT SP3
> under

320M?  Why so little :-)

> >vmware, giving it 64M.  i originally tried using a native NT partition that
> was
> >already on the laptop, but the vmware support for native partitions is
> buggy and
> >it kept complaining about disk writes outside the range of the partition.
>
> I would echo what Mark says about VMWare support for native partitions. It
> basically doesn't work on a ThinkPad 770X (what I have), either under VMWare
> for Linux or VMWare for NT. I suspect the issue is that the IDE controller
> on the ThinkPad is not quite "standard" and so things go awry.
>
> -Bruce

I'm using vmware with a raw NTFS partition on my 'lil 560x.  Works fine,
I did get a few messages about mostly reads outside of NT's partition
and a couple about writes.  But I believe those messages were all due to
NT scanning the disk, or wanting to write to the first partition (a
small DOS partition for hib. and booting) when it changed bootloader
parameters.  I didn't attribute these messages to problems with VMWare.
YMMV and maybe the 770 is different.

I did have to play around with the permissions on disk a bit so that I
could run vmware as a user, this is discussed in the vmware
documentation.

-Tom