IBM's response to the MWave petition

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:54:18 +0200

Just arrived, so here is what IBM has to say:

Bill,

Thank you very much for taking the time to collect names
of Linux users who need Mwave support. I would like to extend
my thanks to Thomas Hood, who also has been collecting names,
and to all those Linux users who have responded to your
solicitations.

As we've discussed, the Mwave subsystem is itself a sophisicated
programming environment, and not just a simple UART-controlled
hardware modem. Because of this, it is not realistic to expect the
Linux community to be able to develop their own support for Mwave
devices without IBM's support, even with the detailed specifications.
Clearly, IBM must take an active role in Linux Mwave development if
we are to meet the Mwave-related needs of the Linux community. Being
a long-time Mwave developer myself, I know this first-hand.

I intend to use the name lists (provided by you and Thomas) to help
paint a realistic picture of the demand for Mwave/ThinkPad support
in the Linux community.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in this petition.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software
Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina

Bill.