Thinkpad 770Z Cover and X

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:27:51 +0200

Suresh, Bruce,

> I'd love a fix for this too. What I do is exit the XServer before closing
> the cover, i.e. before suspending the machine, and then restart X after I've
> woken up the machine.

If a thinkpad is configured not to suspend when the lid is closed, then for
some
reason the XServer is not informed that the display has been turned of, and I
presume that the sync go all to hell when the lid is reopened.

I donīt have any idea how to get around this in a sensible, software controlled

way, but maybe a friendly IBMer reading this might be able to find out what
messages or states are changed when the lid is closed and let me know. If
itīs an APM thing or an X thing I would be extremely interested in finding a
solution too.

When I need to keep my system running with a closed lid I first drop out of
the XSession using "CTRL-ALT-F1" to get to the normal display, and then
use "CTRL-ALT-F7" to get back to the XSession upon reopening.

A small tip though if you do forget to do this and get a "not so" funny looking

brown-white burn-in screen: use Fn-F7 to swith the display to the external
adapter (Blank screen), then "CTRL-ATL-F1" to the panel where you started X,
Fn-F7 back to the LCD display, and CTRL-C to kill the XServer. It works for
mine
but it should also work for anyone using any ThinkPad.

Bill.