sound on the 770z

Paul Phillips linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 4 May 1999 13:08:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Rob Mayoff wrote:

> It's apparently a CS4239, which is supposedly register-compatible with
> the CS4236, CS4232, and a several other CS423x-series.  I bought OSS
> and configured mine as a non-PNP CS4232 using numbers I got by looking
> at the configuration under W98.  It definitely sounds better now than
> it did when it was configured as an 8-bit SB.  Unfortunately it
> doesn't work under WINE. :(

So I have had some success with the kernel sound drivers -- it says
'interrupt test failed (IRQ5)' when I install it, but seems to work
anyway.  However, volume is very low.  On one of the thinkpad/linux web
pages I found a reference to a "master volume control" which needs to be
moved up, but there's no reference to this in the thinkpad manual or
configuration utility.

--
Paul Phillips      | Love is a wild snowmobile ride across a frozen lake that
Mordant Surfer     | hits a patch of glare ice and flips, pinning you beneath