sound config

Patrick Hillyer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 17 May 1999 13:05:13 -0500

I have a ThinkPad 770z (9549-8AU) with a stock install of RedHat 6.0
plus
updated XFree86.  I have also been struggling with the sound.  I
tried
numerous suggestions from the web (including Mairs) to no avail.  I
then
found this web site:

	http://resources.inw.com/linux/thinkpad770/node12.html

they had a couple of suggestions.  One being configuring as SB
compatible.
another being a CS423x config with the correct resource information.

Neither of these worked for me.  The third suggestion they had
worked.
The person that submitted the change was working with a recompiled
2.2 kernel.
I did not Recompile the kernel.

----

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
#---added for sound
# mpuirq=9 synthirq=-1 synthio=-1
# alias sound cs4232
alias char-major-14 cs4232
post-install cs4232 /sbin/modporbe "-k" "adlib_card" "ad1848"
"uart401"
#
# pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
# alias midi opl3
# options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
# mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9 synthirq=-1 synthio=-1
options adlib_card io=0x388

------

I hope this helps,

- Patrick

> Andy
>
> Mark Kennedy wrote:
> >
> > can either baiti or mair post a copy of the output
> > from 'cat /dev/sndstat'?  your sound config has
> > both CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m and CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232=m.
> > but when i tried a base CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232 config
> > (without any sound blaster support), it compiled
> > and loaded but wouldn't sing for me.  so i'm guessing that
> > you two are really running as sound blaster-compatibles
> > and not as direct CS4232 devices.
> >
> > /mark kennedy

actually, i am running redhat 6.0 but i always build my own
(minimalist)
kernel.  the 2nd time, i built a soundblaster compatible config
and it worked correctly.  i'd still like to see baiti's or mair's
'cat /dev/sndstat' output.

/mark