Caldera 2.2 cont.......

Michael B. Sayer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 20 May 1999 12:55:17 +0530

Apart from everything else, I think I've got a partitioning problem.  I went
to the disk administrator in NT and this is what it shows me:

Disk 0 - 7811MB

C: 	FAT 1410MB
	Unknown 349MB
	Unknown 295MB

D:	NTFS 5759MB

And 7MB of free space.

So what I think has happened is that the Caldera CD has done a minimum
install (349MB) and there is no swap file.

What I think I originally started out with before I tried to install Linux
was just 2 partitions:

C:	FAT 2045MB

D:	NTFS 5759MB

And the 7MB of free space.

The Partition Magic that comes with the Caldera is very basic.  If forces me
to boot off a floppy to do the partitioning.  To be perfectly honest I
reckon I've screwed up this part of the process.  Having said that what's my
best move forward.  I can backup the C and the D partitions to a central
server at work and then reformat and repartition the whole drive.

I have discovered that the version of PM I've got won't see drives bigger
than 8 GIG and I believe that I've got a drive that's 8.1 GIG.  There is an
upgrade version that will deal with larger drives.  Is it worth getting that
or just taking my HD into my hands and using fdisk.

Can anyone point me to a "step by step" guide to partitioning?

Caldera does use Xfree86, but there is no info as to which version.  I still
have this minimum install of Linux on the machine but it still "doesn't seem
to work" and there is no prompt from me to work from so I'm not sure how I
can get to the Linux directories.

I apologies if these seems all a bit basic but I do want to get the Linux
working....

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Brennan