[ltp] HTTP installation of Linux on a ThinkPad 755CX

Vasanth Rakasi linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:14:56 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to install Linux on a ThinkPad 755CX, which
doesn't have a CD-ROM drive. It has a PCMCIA ehernet
card and I'm able get on the network.

I'm  using RedHat 6.1's pcmcia.img and
gdth-driver-disk.img which I got from RedHat's site
and used rawrite.exe to copy on to floppy diskettes.
With the help of these two ".img" files, I'm able to
get to the point where I need to select an
installation method--NFS, ftp, HTTP or HardDisk.

(at this point, when I ping this machine from another
machine, I do get a response--showing that the network
card is working OK.)

Since I am behind the firewall (which is configured to
not allow FTP to/from "outside" world), I do not have
the option of ftp. Also, since I do not have anything
on my HardDisk, that is not an option, either.

When I try using "HTTP" option, and specify:

Web site name: metlab.unc.edu
Red Hat directory:
/pub/linux/distributions/redhat/redhat-6.1/i386

an error message pops up to say "Unable to retrieve
the second stage ramdisk". The popup window's title,
however, says "FTP" and not "HTTP".

What is going on?

There is another machine (with a CD-ROM drive and
running Linux and NFS) on the network, which the
ThinkPad can access. Could somedbody tell me the steps
I need to follow to be able to use the "NFS"
installation method so that I can install Linux on the
ThinkPad using CD-ROm drive on the other machine
running Linux?

Thanks.

vasanth