[ltp] LILO and Boot Manager

Campo Weijerman linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 07:38:38 +0100

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 08:57:04PM +0000, Alex Bell wrote:
> Thanks, Campo.  But so far as I can understand from the RedHat manual
> if I use a workstation type installation LILO will be placed on the
> Master Boot Record automatically.  Is that correct?  I want it to go on
> the linux root partition as you advise.  How can I do this?
Well, I don't use RH myself, so I don't know. Maybe there is an option
to skip lilo entirely. Then boot the installed system from a floppy
(like typing "linux root=/dev/hdXX" at the lilo: prompt). You then have
the option of always booting from floppy (which works fine, although a
bit slow) or installing lilo "manually".

Personally I don't like all these "wizards" who try to be smarter then me.
I have heard people talk about "expert mode" installation which is
supposed to give one full control over what it does.
Regards,
Campo
--
Campo Weijerman <campo@raleigh.ibm.com>