[ltp] basic "Linux partition creation" question

Vasanth Rakasi linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:26:42 -0800 (PST)

I've been trying to install Linux on ThinkPad 755CX
for some time now. I think I'm almost there. After
crossing PCMCIA, nfs, etc. hurdles, I feel that the
installation is failing because there are no Linux
partitions on the disk!

During installation, I am able to get to "bash#"
propmt (by pressing Alt-F2). At this prompt, when I
run "fdisk", I get the usage help of fdisk.

I tried "fdisk /dev/hda", "fdisk /dev/sda" and "fdisk
/dev/eda" only to see "Unable to open /dev/hda",
"Unable to open /dev/sda", etc.

When I do "ls /dev", the following is what I see:

console	mem		ptmx	tty0	tty3	tty6	ttyS1	zero
log	null	pts	tty1	tty4	tty7	ttyS2
md0	psaux	ram	tty2	tty5	ttyS0	ttyS3

I don't see hda, sda or eda. How do I create the
partitions?

I have 540 MB disk on this ThinkPad and it has only
DOS on it now. I would like to use this drive only for
Linux.

Also, are there any free tools that I could use from
DOS that will create the Linux partitions?

vasanth