[ltp] Networking Problems with 770X

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 08:48:10 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, eduardo wrote:

> "Brian R. Toonen" wrote:
> >
> > Just for the record, I have encountered the same problem on both a 600
> > and a 600E, so I don't think the problem is 770X specific.  Once in a
> > great while I've seen on the delay packets come with corrupted data as
> > well.
> >
> > --brian

[.. details deleted ..]

> > > 3Com 10/100 LAN

> > > After a while

[.. details deleted ..]

> The problem is in the precompiled versions of these products.
>

> to solve:
>
> Istall it from CD.
> get and upgrade kernel to 2.2.12 and pcmcia to 3.0.14 at least.(its a
> boring work! take a look on the HOW-TO's Kernel and PCMCIA)
>
> After that, everything will work.
>
> I found these problems even using distributions with these levels. I
> needed to re-compile them.

No, this is definitiely not the problem. There are at least 2 things
which I _never_ take from a distribution: The kernel and the pcmcia
package.

I have manually installed linux-2.2.{0,1,2,...13} and pcmcia-3.0.14 and
pcmcia-3.1.{2,3}. The problem is persistent across all permutations of
the above (well, except I haven't tried the pcmcia-3.1.x versions on the
linux-2.2.12 and below).

In what environment are you successfully running the IBM EtherJet 10/100
Cardbus adapter?

--
Friedemann Baitinger       fb@baiti.net      http://baiti.net/fb