[ltp] Serial Port on TP600E

Lawrence Lam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 06 Nov 1999 13:47:49 PST

Hi,

I have just finished installing RH6.1 to my Thinkpad 600E.  Everything works
fine except the serial port.

I check in Win98 that it uses irq 4 and base address 0x3f8.  Then I boot up
Linux and issue the command
	tpctl --rs1=enable --rs1=0x3f8 --rs1=irq4

Then I double check with setserial and I get
	/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

Everything looks good until I start minicom or ppp.  The modem doesn't work.
  It is an external modem and the lights on it don't blink even once.  Looks
like nothing is being sent to the modem.

I am able to use the serial port and the modem under Win98.  I also disabled
the IR port.  What else is wrong with my settings?  Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

Lawrence.