[ltp] Re: problem with Thinkpad 770X crashing

Moses DeJong linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 14:29:44 -0600 (CST)

Hello again.

I think I have found the cause of my Thinkpad 770X going down when
debugging a large program in gdb. When I watch the system with
top, I have noticed that all the regular memory (128 Megs) and
all of the swap space (256 Megs) gets eaten up by gdb. When
the amount of swap space goes to 0, my machine freezes up for
a minute or two. It comes back most of the time, and then goes
down for another minute or two. This now seems like a Kernel
problem. Does anyone know what should happen when the system runs
out of swap space? Is this a kernel bug related to Thinkpads or
is this a more general problem with all Linux systems.

Thanks
Mo DeJong